Welcome to FibroIreland
FibroIreland has been created for people affected by fibromyalgia. It provides general information to help you understand how fibromyalgia affects you and what you can do to manage it. It also tells you where to find further information. For information on support groups please go to the support page or click here.
We aim to :
• Listen with empathy to your experience of FM
• Make FM better understood
• Provide up-to-date information on FM
• Support those caring for people with FM
Student Support Group in Trinity College Dublin
- Tues 21st of April 6pm-8pm
Speaker: Deirdre McSwiney will be talking about Sleep Management
Deirdre McSwiney graduated from D.I.T., Kevin Street in the mid 70's. Originally working in Neurophysiology she trained in the Adelaide Hospital in Dublin. She moved to the Cardiology Department in the Mater Misericordiae Hospital and from there to the Mater Private Hospital when it opened in 1986. She has been working in Sleep Medicine for almost 20 years. She is the Chief Technologist in the Laboratory where all disorders within the spectrum are diagnosed and treated. Five years ago she trained in the Sackler Institute in Glasgow University with Prof. Colin Espie as a Cognitive Behaviour Therapist in Insomnia ( CBT-I) . She has also completed a course in CBT-I with Prof. Michael Perlis from Penn University.
Deirdre will talk about:
- Sleep Hygiene issues and will have a CD recording based on Progressive Relaxation Therapy (cover charge €3 euro for CD). - Links between insomnia and Sleep Apnea Syndrome, as stand alone and interlinked.
- Q&A afterwards
Booking essential. If you would like to attend please contact Rachel Lynch M: 087 997 6252 or Ursula Hakman M: 086 450 3227or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
CPI FREE courses - An Introduction to
CPI are holding a number of FREE nationwide courses called An Introduction to Self-Management Techniques around the country.
Introduction to SMT – what to expect
The day is designed to give you an easy to understand overview to key themes in Self-Management of chronic pain. We then show some tools and techniques to help attendees implement some self-management strategies.
• Understanding Chronic Pain & how it differs from other pain
• Understanding the role of Healthcare Professionals
• Understanding all available options - – Medicines/Medical Devices/CBT/TM etc.
• Pacing skills
• Practical relaxation
• Review of Self-Management Strategies
Self -Management Strategies
1. Pace Activities
2. Consume Wisely
3. Use Medication Appropriately
5. Ease Tensions
6. Improve Sleep
7. Use Distraction
8. Think Constructively
10. Improve Mood
11. Use Good Ergonomics
12. Manage Relationships
List of meeting locations here
Fibroireland is a web portal for the dissemination of information on fibromyalgia and related ailments. Anything appearing on the website should not be considered an endorsement or recommendation unless specifically so stated. Fibroireland is not an association or company.